by Lenora Routon Cross, 1965. Scanned & graphics added, 2002. Minor additions by Jay Cross, Lenora's son.
West Point, New York -- the site of America's strongest Revolutionary War fortifications and the present-day home of the United States Military Academy -- was a privately owned homestead during the early days of its fame.
At the time of the Revolution, West Point belonged to Stephen Moore, a remarkable man who was a hero with the British Army during the French and Indian wars, renounced the Tory beliefs of his large and influential family to join the Colonists and lead an ill-starred regiment against Cornwallis, and spent twelve months as a prisoner of the British. During the Revolution and until late 1790, West Point was his private estate.
The West Point lands had originally been granted by the British Crown to Capt. John Evans, but he did not settle on the land as required by the grant, and his title was vacated and the land returned to the Crown. On May 17, 1723 a tract of 1463 acres including the northern portion of today's West Point Military Reservation was granted to Charles Congreve upon condition that, within three years, he should settle on the land and should cultivate three of each 50 workable acres.  Not many of West Point's craggy acres could have been workable.
Reserved to the Crown in the document were any gold and silver mines, also all trees of a diameter of 24 inches or more which might be required for masts on Royal Navy ships, and other timbers needed for ship planking. A yearly rental of two shillings sixpence per 100 acres was to be paid to the Collector of Customs at the Customs House in New York City.
On March 25, 1747 Col. John Moore of New York City received from the Crown a grant for 332 acres adjoining the Congreve land. This second Royal Letters-Patent included the same provisions and rental as the Congreve grant; it was signed for George II, King of England, by Gen. George Clinton, then his Majesty's Governor-in-Chief of the Province of New York. John Moore also purchased the Congreve Tract, giving him almost 1800 acres. The date and consideration for this sale are unknown, the only missing link in the chain of patents and titles. 
John Moore was at this time one of the most prominent citizens of New York. He was one of the city's leading merchants and property owners. He was colonel commanding His Majesty's New York Regiment of Foot. In addition, he was a member of the King's Council, an alderman, and from 1715 until his death served as warden and vestryman of Trinity Church.
His home in the city, "Whitehall," was a double three-story mansion on the north corner of Front and Moore Streets. His mercantile and importing business occupied much waterfront property on the tip of Manhattan Island. In addition, he owned a large house and considerable other property in Philadelphia. 
His father, also named John Moore, had come to Charleston, S.C, in 1680 from the family home, Moore Hall in England. Educated at Oxford in law, this first American Moore soon became secretary of the colony of South Carolina. In 1687 he moved to Philadelphia where he became the King's Attorney General for Pennsylvania. He died there in 1690 and was buried in the middle aisle of Christ Church.  At the time the Moores acquired West Point, the area was a formidable rocky highland with small, scattered farms along the river and valleys.
Colonel Moore built a large house in "Washington's Valley," one of the few relatively flat areas along the riverbank. The house was three-storied, had four chimneys, and was so pretentious for its location that it was sometimes known as "Moore's Folly.''  It was sometimes referred to as the "Red House," so it may have been painted red at one time. It was situated on the bank of the Hudson River, just north of the sharp bend that the river makes at West Point; it was opposite the westernmost projection of Constitution Island. The house set on the southern side of a small mountain stream that emptied into the Hudson; the mouth of this stream made a small, protected anchorage. A road behind the house led from the river up the steep hill to the West Point "plain" and thence to New Windsor.
This engraving of West Point in 1826 viewed from the north shows
the house and its situation plainly. The engraving, by J. Archer, is
the property of the United States Military Academy Museum (Catalogue No.-A-6897).
The Moore family apparently spent part of the year at West Point and part at their New York City home. They undoubtedly traveled back and forth by river; there were no roads of any consequence on the western side of the river in the direction of New York City, and in any event, river travel was faster and more comfortable for families. Colonel Moore employed a Dutch farmer named Daniel Coovert to work the farm. Coovert's granddaughter recalled (in the early 1800's), "The land, though neither as extensive or as level as now, was at that time (note: the middle 1700's) a pretty good sized cornfield. (My) grandmother used to tell her grandchildren of the fright which she received one evening, when, coming up from the valley to drive home the cows, she saw a wildcat in a tree, probably one of the old elm trees on the Plain." 
The Moore family was large, as most families were in those days. Eighteen children were born to Col. John Moore and his wife Frances, and 11 of them were living when Colonel Moore died on Oct. 29, 1749. 
In a will that was intricate but carefully drawn, Moore disposed of an estate valued at 6,400 pounds sterling. His wife was to have a life estate in all except the New York City home and the West Point lands, but at her death the division of property would be made according to an itemized schedule in his will.
The eldest son John was to have received the largest single share, including the New York town house, the whole valued at 2,000 pounds, but he died the year before his father; a codicil divided his share. The second son, Thomas, was to receive property worth 1,000 pounds. Most of the others were given values of 500 pounds. But the youngest child, a son Stephen who was 15 when his father died, was to receive the West Point property when he reached 21, and it was valued in the will at 800 pounds. According to Lt. Knowlton's book, which quotes the John Moore will in entirety, this portion reads: "Item, I give and devise unto my son Stephen Moore and to his heirs and assigns when he shall arrive at the age of 21 years, the lands in the highlands that I bought of Charles Congreve with all the buildings and appurtenances "hereunto belonging, together with the three Negroes named Anthony, Cumberland, and Violett and also all the stock thereon and also the Tract of land adjoining to the above said tract of land (bought of Congreve) lately patented to me, this last containing by patent about two hundred and eighty acres with the Appurtenances to said land belonging, he being to supply his Mother during her life with as much firewood as she shall want for the use of her Family.'' 
Of the children other than Stephen, whose life we follow: Thomas was unsuccessful in numerous business ventures in New York City and Peekskill; Richard moved to Barbados, Daniel and Lambert entered business and law practice in Jamaica, Ann and Rebecca remained unmarried and lived with their mother, Mary was widowed and returned to the family home, William settled in Curacao, Charles who was unmarried became a merchant in Peekskill and then moved to North Carolina with Stephen, and Susanna married John Smyth of Perth Amboy.
Young Stephen Moore, after his father's death, was apprenticed to John Watts, a contractor for Army supplies. In 1758 he received a lieutenant's commission in the brigade of Col. Oliver Delancey for the Crown Point Expedition. He continued in service with the British army in that area until 1760 when, as a reward for his services, he was appointed deputy paymaster of Royal troops in Canada and moved to Quebec.  There he was married to Griselda Phillips from Boston, the ceremony being performed by the Rev. Mr. Montgomery, chaplain of the 10th King's Regiment. Their first child, John, was born in Quebec the following year.
While on duty in Canada, Stephen Moore made an incredible journey to carry urgent messages from General Haldimand, the Royal Governor General at Three Rivers, to Lord Jeffrey Amherst, who commanded in New York. It was the dead of winter, and all the usual lines of communication were frozen. Because of his familiarity with the area, Stephen Moore volunteered to take the messages.
With a pack of provisions on his back, he ice-skated from Quebec to Montreal on the St. Lawrence. There he hired Indian guides and tramped to Lake Champlain and thence to the Hudson on snowshoes. At Albany he left the Indians and skated down the river as far as Yonkers; twice he fell through the ice and pulled himself out. From Yonkers he walked to Amherst's headquarters, making the entire journey in 10 days. 
In 1764 he joined British Colonel John Bradstreet in an expedition of 1,200 men across Lake Erie to Detroit, in pursuit of the Indian chief Pontiac.  After this campaign, Stephen left the Army and retired to his house and lands at West Point in 1765. By this time he and Griselda were parents of another son, named Phillips, so it was a family of four who took up residence in the Moore House.
Stephen formed a partnership with Hugh Finlay to enter the lumber business. Finlay had been postmaster-general of Canada and was married to Griselda Moore's sister.  During the 1765-75 period, Stephen Moore's name appears on various town reports at Cornwall, NY.  A third child, Frances, was born at West Point.
Several of Stephen's brothers and uncles held important crown offices in New York and Philadelphia, and he had himself served with the British Army for seven years, but events during the decade he spent at West Point led him to a complete break with his family's strong Tory beliefs. He decided to support the rebellion. In 1775 he left the West Point area and took his family to North Carolina where he bought a farm near Raleigh. He named his homestead Mt. Tirzah, for the beautiful city described in the Old Testament.
"He was the only one of his father's family who took an active part in favor of the Revolution." 
As soon as the war broke out, both England and the colonial government realized the importance of the Hudson River. And only a glance at the map was needed to show the strategic importance of holding the double bend in the river between Constitution Island and West Point. The Continental Congress engaged Col. Bernard Romans, a European engineer, to draw up plans for fortifying this area. He proposed batteries on Constitution Island with fields of fire down and across the river. His plans were accepted and work began immediately on the island in 1775.
At the same time Congress considered fortifying the West Point side of the river and in October passed a resolution of inquiry ''as to the propriety of constructing a battery at 'Moore's House' (situated in Washington's Valley) and at a point on the west side of the river above Verplank's.'' On the 16th of October, the Commissioners reported progress in fortifying Constitution Island but declared "a battery at 'Moore's House' would be entirely useless."  So West Point was left undisturbed by preparations for war, and it provided a refuge for many members of the large Moore family.
Stephen had parted with his brothers in politics but the family ties were as strong as ever. Throughout the war, the Moore House at West Point was open to all the family, and scores of them spent a sort of exile there for parts of the conflict.
While the British held New York or Philadelphia or other centers, the Moores other than Stephen could administer their royal offices or conduct their businesses; when the British withdrew from the cities, their Tory supporters had to leave as well. The Moores invariably left for West Point.
Stephen's brother Thomas, who had lived in Peekskill, brought his numerous family and stayed from late 1775 until October 1777. Charles arrived from New York City. Thomas' eldest son, John, was a British official in New York, but he sent his wife and child to stay at West Point. In a biography of one of Thomas Moore's sons, Bishop Richard Channing Moore of Virginia, we read, "In that place of retirement from the dangers and excitements incident to a state of war, the subject of our memoir passed about a year and a half of his boyish days in the happy society of his brothers and sisters, often engaged in those rural occupations and sports so grateful to the taste of childhood and youth, and surrounded by the most sublime and lovely scenery which our country contains.'' 
During the fall of 1776 Stephen Moore had ridden up from Carolina to West Point to visit his displaced relatives and to check on his property. On the way back south his nephew John accompanied him as far as New York City; the British having retaken the city, John was returning from a temporary exile to his post as a royal customs collector. 
In 1776, just after the British had returned to the city, a great fire in New York destroyed Trinity Church and hundreds of houses and commercial buildings in lower Manhattan. Col. John Moore's widow, Frances, who had continued after his death to live at "Whitehall'' with her unmarried daughters Rebecca and Ann,  was not only without a home but was penniless. Her entire valuable estate in the city had been wiped out in a matter of hours. 
The three women fled to the home of Susanne Moore Smyth in Perth Amboy. Later when the colonial forces took Perth Amboy, they and the Smyth family withdrew to New York City and lived for a time with Thomas' son John, who had by then become deputy secretary of the Province of New York for the British. John was able to obtain a flag of truce to cross the colonial lines and go up to West Point to get his wife and child; they returned to the city with two sloops loaded with family effects and provisions. 
Although West Point was in colonial hands all but 20 days of the war and those who took refuge at the Moore House were unrelenting Tories, the only recorded instance of offense to them was at the hands of the British in October 1777, when Gen. George Clinton's forces occupied the area.
"The father of the peaceful family at West Point (Note: in this instance, Thomas Moore is being referred to) had left home to visit a friend at a distance; and during his absence, a British frigate ascended the Hudson River with a view of capturing Fort Montgomery. General Clinton, of the British Army, with the forces under his command, had previously visited the residence of the Moores, committing such acts as are common with a foraging party when invading the domains of the enemy. The soldiers, however, were content with committing deprecations out of doors. They robbed the garden, took possession of the poultry, and killed a cow that was feeding in the orchard, but offered no personal violence to the members of the family, not even attempting to invade the sanctuary of the domicile.
"But when the seamen landed from the frigate, they immediately entered the house, and with ruthless violence, tore up the carpets, stripped the beds, stole the teaspoons from the table where the family were seated at their evening meal, and without restraint carried on the work of indiscriminate pillage. One of the band of depredators, more savage than the rest, with fiendish cruelty and dastardly cowardice, presented a fixed bayonet at Mrs. Moore's breast, threatening the life of an unprotected mother surrounded by an innocent group of weeping and helpless children. …In this case, the outrage was perpetrated not upon an enemy, but a friend, for the Moores were favorable to the royal cause. 
On Dec. 2, 1777, alarmed by the British ascent of the river in October, General Washington in a letter to Maj. Gen. Israel Putnam recommended that a "strong fortress should be erected at West Point, opposite to Fort Constitution." Washington later referred to West Point as "the most important post in America." 
On Jan. 20, 1778 a Massachusetts brigade crossed on the ice from Constitution Island and occupied West Point; its history as a military post has been continuous since that time.
By February 13 barracks for 600 men had been built of logs cut at the site.  Plans for a great chain and a log boom, to be strung across the Hudson from West Point to Constitution Island, were made. Because of the double bend in the river, sailing ships were much slowed before their approach to the chain and boom location and could not ram through. Also, the stalled ships would become prime targets for the batteries on the rocks high above both east and west banks. The chain was constructed at the Stirling Iron Works some 25 miles from West Point. It was brought by cart to New Windsor, just inland of West Point, for partial assembly. Thence it was brought to the river, and on May 1, 1778 it was fastened in position for the first time.
Each winter the chain had to be removed from the river; it could not have resisted the pressure of ice coming downstream. "The Red House was l situated in 'Washington's Valley' where a safe anchorage on the flats, from the moving fields of ice, could be secured."  So each winter the Great Chain was pulled from the river and stored at the Moore House. It required 280 men to do the job. 
During the summer and fall of 1778 Kosciusko was busy supervising the building of fortifications and barracks. In November the Continental Army split to go into winter quarters, part at West Point. Early in December General Washington arrived in person to inspect the progress of the construction. 
In May 1779 the British began another advance up the Hudson and penetrated to Verplanck's Landing, just 12 miles from West Point. Washington 'all was determined to keep West Point out of their hands at any cost; he decided the whole army must march to West Point where the defenses were still feeble and incomplete. Clinton delayed to fortify his positions downriver, and Washington gained the time he needed to consolidate his forces at West Point. 
On June 22, 1779 Washington established his headquarters at New Windsor, and on July 21 he moved to West Point and took the Moore House as his headquarters.  In a letter to his friend Dr. Cochran on August 16, Washington refers to the house as "this happy spot."
One of Washington's most often-quoted orders was written there. It reads, in part:
Headquarters, Moore's HouseWest Point July 29, 1779Many and pointed orders have been issued against that unmeaning and abominable custom of swearing not withstanding which, with much regret, the General observes that it prevails, if possible, more than ever; his feelings are continually wounded by the oaths and imprecations of the soldiers whenever he is in hearing of them....
By coincidence, the British high command had used another Moore family home, Moore Hall in Pennsylvania, as headquarters after the Battle of Brandywine in September 1777. William Moore, brother of Col John Moore and uncle of Stephen Moore owned this house. 
As winter approached, Washington considered that the immediate danger to West Point had lessened. On November 28 he left with part of his troops to join other units from the middle and southern states and go into winter quarters at Morristown, N.J.
It was the following winter, 1780-81, which was the worst for the troops at West Point. Their suffering was as great, if not as well remembered, as that of Valley Forge. To quote Dr. Thacher, surgeon of the forces at West Point, "The soldiers, though very miserably clad, have been for some time obliged to bring all the wood for themselves and officers on their backs from a place a mile distant, and almost half of the time are kept on half-allowances of bread and entirely without rum. Twelve or fourteen months’ pay are now due us, and we are destitute of clothing and the necessaries of life. The weather is remarkably cold and our tents are comfortless. For three days I have not been able to procure food enough to appease my appetite; we are threatened with starvation." 
In January they moved into "log huts scattered from Crow's Nest Ravine down through its continuation to Washington's Valley." 
The owner of West Point, though far away, was no stranger to the war's miseries himself. In 1779 he raised and took command of a regiment of North Carolina volunteers. After service in Maj. Gen. Nathaniel Greene's army, his regiment was placed under Maj. Gen. Horatio Gates. With Gates it met disaster in the Battle of Camden on Aug. 12, 1780.
As Gates' army was overwhelmed, most of Lt. Colonel Moore's regiment fled under fire, and Cornwallis' forces captured him. He was sent to Charleston and imprisoned on the notorious prison ship Forbay in the harbor there.  He was transferred to St. Augustine in July 1781. After twelve months in prison, he and others were exchanged, and he returned home on Aug. 14, 1781.
In recognition of his services, he was named Deputy Quartermaster General of North Carolina and stationed at Hillsborough.  He also returned to the seat in the legislature, which he had held before his capture. In 1779, Stephen Moore had presented a memorandum to the Continental Congress asking payment for damages and for timber used from his estate at West Point to build barracks and fortifications. On Dec. 18, 1779 Congress directed the Quartermaster General to estimate the damages. The report was filed on Feb. 7, 1780, and Stephen was awarded an order on the Treasury for $10,000 and also a draft on the Governor of North Carolina for $30,000.  He apparently collected little, if anything, from either source.
In 1783 he again petitioned Congress for "arrears due him" on the first settlement, plus the value of the timber used in the years since the first claim; he also asked that some rent be paid for the use of the land. On Sept. 25, 1783 Congress agreed to settle his claim.
However, Stephen Moore realized by this time that the government intended to continue using West Point for military purposes in peacetime, so he suggested that they buy the land outright. On July 1, 1786 Secretary of War Henry Knox recommended that the United States buy the West Point lands, and Congress approved on Aug. 3, 1786. However, no funds were available, so nothing whatever was done and four more years passed.
On June 10, 1790, a commission headed by Alexander Hamilton, Secretary of the Treasury, renewed the recommendation that the U.S. purchase West Point.  A new resolution of Congress was necessary, however, because the new Constitution had taken effect since the previous resolution to buy in 1786. This was approved on July 5, 1790.
"An Act to Authorize the Purchase of a Tract of Land for the Use of the United States.
"Section I. Be it enacted by the Senate and the House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled; That it shall be lawful for the president of the United States and he is hereby authorized to cause to be purchased for the use of the United States the whole of such part of that tract of land situated in the state of New York commonly called West Point as shall be by him judged requisite for the purpose of such fortifications and garrisons as may be necessary for the defense of the same."
The price fixed was $11,085. On Sept. 10, 1790 Stephen Moore and his wife Griselda (who was called Grisey) signed the deed transferring West Point to the government.  Their second son Phillips Moore signed as one of the witnesses. This young man, who had lived at the Moore House at West Point as a young child, was his father's representative in delivering the deed to the Supreme Court of the State of New York on Nov. 8, 1790. 
Stephen Moore lived on at Mt. Tirzah, occupied with tobacco farming and mercantile interests. He died there on May 20, 1799, leaving his widow, five sons and three daughters. 
The last link remaining to connect the family with West Point was the Moore House. There is no record of when it ceased to exist. 
The home site is now covered by athletic fields of the United States Military Academy.
Bishop Richard Channing Moore, one of Thomas Moore's many children who spent part of the war years at West Point, wrote to a daughter on Aug. 10, 1833: "I have made an excursion to the Highlands and have visited the site of my grandfather's country seat at West Point, at which I passed eighteen months of my boyhood…. I walked to 'Moore's Folly,' as it was once called, and found the house totally gone; but perfectly recollected the spot on which it once stood, and to my pleasing surprise, found one old English cherry tree remaining." 
Original document scanned, formatted, and graphics added by author’s son Jay Cross. Now posted at www.jaycross.com.
Note from Jay: The following bit of genealogy from the web ties the Moores of West Point to the Moores who moved to Washington, Arkansas, before the Civil War.
Stephen Moore 1734 -
& Griselda [Grisey] Phillips 1748/9 -
of New York & Mt. Tirzah, Person County, NC
Stephen Moore was married 25 Dec 1768 in Quebec, Canada, by Rev. Mr. Montgomery, Chaplin of the King's 10th Regiment, to Grisey Phillips.
Stephen Moore was born 19/30 Oct 1734 in New York City. He was the 17th of 18 children of John Moore [1686 SC - 1749 New York City] and Frances Lambert [1692 - 1782].
His wife called Grisey, in the Bible was named Griselda. She was born in Boston 18 Feb 1748/9. His father was "Col. John Moore, a leading merchant in the early days of New York city"
Lt. Col. Stephen Moore came to NC and built a home in Person County which he called Mr. Tirzah. He died there 20 May 1799.
In 1779 he was given charge of a Regiment of NC State Troops. He was in the
1st Battle of Camden [SC].
" Moore, Stephen [NC] Lieutenant-Col. NC Militia -- taken prisoner at Charleston, 12th May 1780."
"The elder Stephen Moore was the owner of West Point and sold it to the US Government in 1790."Page 34 -
CENTURIES OF MOOR DE FALLEY by David Moore HALL, printed
1904 by O.E. FLANHART Printing Co., Richmond, VA for himself.. page 38
"Gen. Stephen Moore, of White Hall, Moore's-Folly-on-the-Hudson, N. Y., and Mount Tirzah, N. C. (1734-1799), Lieut. DeLancey's Brigate, British Army, (war 1756); afterwards Paymaster to the army in Canada, m. Griselda Philips, of Boston, Mass.
1-John m. Sarah Bailey & twin John, d. 1769 
3-Marcus, d/ inf.
4-Cadmus, d. inf.
5- Ann, d. unm.
8-Sidney m. Mary Reade.
10-Mary m.to Hon. Richard Stanford, U. S. Senator from North Carolina.
During the Revolutionary War he moved from Moore's-Folly-on-the-Hudson to Mount Tirzah N. C. a beautiful spot in (now) Person Co. 'where the ax had never been laid to tree'. In 1779 he took command of a regiment of North Caroina State troops which participated in the first battle of Camden, in which battle the Americans under Gen. Horatio Gates were defeated by the British under Lord Cornwallis, and he was taken prisoner and carried to Charleston, S.C. Upon his release he retired to Mount Tirzah; after the peace he sold his estate on the Hudson to the U. S. Government. It is now the site of the U. S. Military Academy, (founded 1802). Moore, Henshaw, supra. Mrs. Sophronia Moore Horner, Genealogist."
Children of Stephen and Grisey Moore of Mt. Tirzah:
1. John Moore Nov 1769 Quebec -
married Sarah Bailey
2. Phillips Moore 16 July 1771 New York City -
married Elizabeth Dudley
3. Frances Moore 5 Nov 1773 Westpoint, NY -
4. Ann Moore 12 Jan 1777 Granville Co, NC - dsp
5. Mary Moore 21 Sept 1778 Mt. Tirzah - 20 Sept 1858 Lambsville, NC
married Hon. Richard Stanford 2 Mar 1767 - 9 Apr 1816
6. Marcus Moore 27 Nov 1780 Mt. Tirzah - dy
7. Portius Moore 16 Oct 1785 Mt. Tirzah -
married 1st Frances Webb ca 1775 - bef 1811
married 2nd in Henrico Co 1811 Lucy Wilson ca 1790 Henrico Co. VA
8. Cadmus Moore 30 Jan 1787 Mt. Tirzah - dy
9. Samuel Moore 15 June 1789 Mt. Tirzah -
10. Sidney Moore 15 Dec 1794 Mt. Tirzah -
married Mary Reade
of Portius Moore and Lucy Wilson:
1. Julia Pulliam Moore ca 1812-
2. Barnet Mooreca 1812 -
3. Richard Henry Moore ca 1816 -
4. Franklin Moore ca 1818 -
5. Bramwell Moore ca 1820 -
6. Theophilus Wilson Moore ca 1822 -
7. Benjamin Rush Moore ca 1824 -
8. Henrietta Moore ca 1826 -
9. Sophronia Moore ca 1828 -
of Phillips and Elizabeth Moore of Person County
1. Stephen Moore
lived in Hillsborough, Orange County, NC until about 1853 removed to Hempstead, AR.
married Randolph Co NC 19 Aug 1830
Mary Gray died 2 Jan 1855 Hemstead Co, AR
a. Ann Elizh Moore 1832 - 1861
married William M Carrigan
b. Alexander P Moore 1833 -
married Hempstead Co, AR 21 Nov 1856 Nannie R Jones
c. William Moore 1835 -
married Person Co, NC 14 Nov 1859 Sarah Eliza Moore
d. Mary Moore 1838 -
married Robert A Carrigan
e. Mariah Moore 1839 -
married Samuel Stewart/Stuart
are in 1880 census in Saline, Hempstead Co, AR
f. Stephen Moore 1841 - 1856
g. Henry Moore 1843 -
h. Richard Channing Moore 1845 - 1862
i. Julia Moore 1848 -
married Hempstead Co, AR 20 Dec 1866 James Stuart
j. Jesse Moore 1853 -
k. Robert Gray Moore 1854 – 1857
from info compiled by Terri O'Neill from the census and abstracts of the "Hillsborough Recorder"
 This and other title information comes from "U.S. Lands at West Point," a manuscript in the Rare Books Room of the U.S. Military Academy Library, con piled by Lt. Minor Knowlton, U.S. Army. Lt. Knowlton was appointed by the superintendent, Major R. Delafield, in 1839 to settle a controversy over boundaries and to "remove trespassers as might be found."
 Knowlton, op cit
 Moore, John. Memoirs of an American Official in Service of the King, written in 1819, published in 1910 in the Journal of American History, Vol. 4, pp 29-47. (The author was a grandson of Col. John Moore and nephew of Stephen Moore.)
 Forman, Sidney, West Point, a History of the Military Academy, p. 4.
 Berard, Augusta Blanche. Reminiscences of West Point in the Olden Time. Rare Book Room, USMA Library. p 3-4
 John and Frances Moore and several of their children are buried in a vault in Trinity Churchyard on lower Manhattan Island.
 1The total acreage varied somewhat in later surveys.
 Milier, Agnes. "Owner of West Point," in New York History, July, 1952, pp 303-312.
 Moore, op cit
 Miller, op cit
 Ruttenber, Edward C. History of Orange County. Philadelphia 1881, p 811
 Moore, op cit
 Boynton, Edward C. History of West Point. New York: Van Nostrand, 1863. p 24.
 Henshaw, J.P.K. Memoir of the Life of the Rt. Rev. Richard Channing Moore.
 Moore, op cit.
 Apparently Frances Moore could remain in the city during the British withdrawal because she held no official position in the Tory establishment.
 John Moore's Memoirs say that a portion of the walls of the house were incorporated in a later building at the Front and Moore Streets location
 Moore, op cit.
 Henshaw, op cit. pp 24-25.
 Forman, op cit.
 Egleston, Thomas. Life of John Paterson, Maj. Gen. in the Revolutionary Army. New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1898. p 187
 Boynton, op cit. p 77.
 General Heath's Memoirs, Apr 10, 1781
 Freeman, Douglas Southall. George Washington, Vol. V. New York: Scribner's, 1952.
 Freeman, op cit
 There is no record of the Moore family being there at this time; they probably left when the main body of the Army came to West Point.
 Moore, op cit.
 Thacher, James. Military Journal of the American Revolution. Hartford: Hulburt, Williams and Co, 1861. p 242
 Berard op cit.
 North Carolina Records, XVII, p 1044.
 North Carolina Records, XXII, p 562. , North Carolina Records, XIX, p 383.
 Knowlton, op cit.
 Hamilton had been on Washington's staff at West Point.
 Office Secretary of State of N.Y., Book of Deeds, No 24.
 Knowlton, op cit.
 Olds, Fred A. Abstract of N.C. Wills from about 1760 to about 1800. Oxford, N.C., 1925. p 258
 The Parmentier survey of 1812 shows several buildings and houses but nothing on the location of the Moore House. The house may have been gone by that date.
 Henshaw, op cit. pp 20-21
 http://www.sallysfamilyplace.com/Neighbors/MooreStephen.ht In early 2004, I received an email from Sally Koestler that said: " Col. Stephen Moore and wife Grizey according to the family Bible had twins as their first children, John who died at the age of 1 year and Robert who later married Sallie Bailey."